Sunday, August 29, 2010

from gold to... gold

I decided to paint the gold mirror. I had posted my dilemma on a decorating forum and out of 49 votes, 96% said yes. So that was that... paint it is!


I started with a light coat of my usual white primer and then sprayed with a coat of Krylon Satin Ivory.


I thought about distressing and glazing it to mach the bench sitting underneath the mirror. But I wanted to do something different, and play off the style of the mirror. So, I decided to make it gold. Just not quite the bright and blinding color it had been. Instead, I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased some liquid gold leaf for $5.


Using a small foam brush, I used a couple drops at a time to apply a light coat to the mirror. I have to say that it was super easy to use. Unlike the glaze, it didn't dry moments after hitting the piece. It took me about 10 minutes to apply on the entire frame, creating a great patina.




I took some pictures outside so you can really see the gold color and shimmer, but here it is completed in its current home.


2 comments:

  1. I really like the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! We're mirror twins! I found a very similar one at my SA a few months ago (mine was $10--wow do I wish our local SA priced stuff like yours does!) but it's sitting in our garage until I figure out its fate.

    You've inspired me, thank you! GORGEOUS work!

    ReplyDelete