Friday, August 27, 2010

to paint, or not to paint

Today I found this beauty at the Salvation Army.



It was covered in dust and priced at only $3.04 (what is with the Salvation Army and their random prices?), but I knew it was the perfect size for a small, blank wall by our front door. I had purchased it with the intention of painting, but now I am starting to reconsider.

After getting it home and cleaning it up, I noticed a stamp on the back that read "Copyright Syroco MCMLXIX". That's 1969 for those of you struggling with your Roman Numeral Conversion. I did a little Google research and started to see the value of similar mirrors online. I found one that appears to be identical, selling for $125. Now I am now afraid of painting it. I am not such a fan of gold or brass, but I had a bout of painters remorse a few weeks ago after spraying a vintage lamp and now I am a little paint gun shy.

Here it is, as-is, in its new home. Sitting pretty above the up-cycled bench from last month.



Here is a similar mirror I found painted in a creamy white.



What do you think we should do?

1 comment:

  1. I think it adds a touch of color other than white. Your trim and furniture around it are all white... I think you should leave it gold.

    ReplyDelete